Lemon Cream Puffs
These tasty puffs are perfect dessert for brunch or as a small finish to an exquisite meal.
Ingredients for Cream Puffs:
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour
Ingredients for Lemon Cream:
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
Directions for Cream Puffs:
- In medium saucepan, over high heat bring water and butter to
boil. Stir in flour all at once; beat until mixture forms a ball that
leaves sides of pan. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Stir in eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Transfer to bowl and chill in refrigerator 10 minutes. Drop by
spoonfuls, into 10 portions, on lightly greased baking sheet, mounding
high in centre.
- Bake in 45O° F (230°C) oven for 10 minutes; reduce oven
temperature to 300°F (15O° C) and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or
until golden brown and appear dry. Remove from oven, make a small slit
in each to release steam. Turn oven off, return puffs to oven, with door
ajar, for 30 minutes.
- Cut a small top off each puff, remove dough filaments from inside; replace tops.
- Let cool completely.
Directions for Lemon Cream:
- In double boiler over boiling water, whisk together egg, sugar,
lemon juice and butter. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture
thickens (thickens more as it cools) about l0 minutes.
- Pour into bowl, press plastic wrap onto surface; chill. (May be made ahead to this point.)
- Whip cream and sugar until thick; fold into prepared lemon curd. Divide cream among puffs, replacing top loosely.
- Dust tops with icing sugar through a small sieve.
Makes 10 cream puffs.