Chocolate Hazelnut Meringue Torte
3 egg whites, at room temperature
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup finely ground hazelnuts (almonds or pecans) preferably toasted
12 oz bittersweet chocolate (or milk chocolate), chopped
2 cups whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 250ºF (100ºC).
- Trace a 9-inch (23-cm) circle on 2 pieces of waxed paper. Place upside down on cookie sheets and butter paper.
- Beat egg whites with salt until frothy.
sugar with coffee granules, cinnamon and vanilla. Add to egg mixture by
tablespoon until whites are stiff and glossy, about 4 minutes. Fold
in 1/3 cup ground hazel nuts.
- Divide meringue between the
two sheets of waxed paper, and spread following outline. Bake in
preheated oven about 1 hour, until crisp. Cool on a rack and carefully
- Meanwhile, stir chocolate and 1/3 cup
whipping cream in top of a double boiler set over medium heat until
chocolate is melted. Cool, making sure it's still liquid.
- Beat remaining whipping cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Remove about 1/2 cup whipped cream and set aside.
- Fold chocolate and remaining whipped cream together.
1 meringue layer on a serving plate and spread half the chocolate cream
mixture to edges. Top with other meringue layer and remaining chocolate
cream mixture. Sprinkle with remaining hazelnuts.
- Serve with reserved whipped cream.
Makes 12 servings.
Per serving: 357 calories, 4.8 g protein, 25.2 g fat, 31 $
carbohydrates, 1.1 g dietary fibre, 95 mg calcium, 0.7 mg iron, 5 mcg
folacin. Good source of vitamin A and vitamin B12.