Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/3 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips, melted
- In medium bowl, combine whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, cocoa and baking powder; set aside.
- In mixing bowl, beat butter with brown sugar until smooth.
- Add in eggs and peppermint extract.
- Add melted chocolate and beat until smooth.
- Stir flour mixture to chocolate mixture and beat to combine.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts, shape into discs, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Working with one disc at a time, shape dough into 8x I inch (20 X 2.5 cm) log on un-floured work surface.
each log into 8 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball. Place
balls on prepared cookie sheet, about 2-inch (5 cm) apart. Slightly
flatten each ball with hand and bake until surface cracks and cookie is
cooked through, about 15 minutes. Do not over bake. If you like, make
different shapes with cookie cutters from other logs.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to rack and cooling completely. Store cookies in airtight container for up to 5 days.
NOTE: You can freeze Chocolate Peppermint Cookies for up to 4 weeks.
Makes 32 cookies.