1 Ib elbow macaroni
2 large onions, chopped
4 cups nonfat half-and-half
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (8 oz)
1½ cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (6 oz)
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese (2 oz)
8 oz nonfat cream cheese
1½ teaspoons paprika
- Lightly coat 13 x 9-inch (33 x 22 cm) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, coat large saucepan with cooking spray and
set over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until soft, about 5
- Drain macaroni and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Put 1/2 cup half-and-half and flour into jar or
plastic container with tight-fitting lid and shake until blended and
smooth. Stir into onions in skillet, then blend in remaining
- Whisk in mustard, salt, and pepper and bring to a
simmer. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens,
about 3 minutes.
- Add cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and cream cheese. Cook, stirring, until cheeses melt.
- Remove from heat and fold in macaroni.
- Spoon macaroni mixture into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake until bubbly and lightly browned, about 35 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.