Chances are you already have all the items needed to make this simple, festive salad in your crisper and cupboards.
2 cups instant whole wheat or regular couscous
1¾ cups boiling water
1 cup hot orange juice
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 red pepper, quartered and thinly sliced
2 green onions, thinly sliced on the bias
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place couscous in a large bowl.
- Pour in hot water and hot orange juice. Cover tightly and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare all vegetables; set aside.
- Add vegetables to couscous mixture.
- In a small bowl stir balsamic vinegar with orange peel, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Whisk in olive oil and then drizzle over couscous mixture. Toss to combine.
- Taste salad and adjust seasoning just before serving.
If making ahead, taste just before serving and add extra olive oil and balsamic vinegar if necessary.
Makes 16 servings.
Per serving: 166 calories, 7 g fat, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein, 1g fibre.