Plum Aple Pie
Ingredients for Pastry:
2¼ cups cake and pastry flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold butter
1 large egg
Ingredients for Filling:
1 lb red plums, pitted, and sliced
1 lb tart apples peeled, cored and chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg yolk
1 tsp milk
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Directions for Crust:
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in cold
butter until the particles of butter
are about the size of a small pea.
- In a measuring cup, beat
egg and stir in enough ice water to equal 1/2 cup.
- Stir egg
mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, into flour mixture until pastry is
moistened and holds together in a ball.
- Press dough together and flatten
into two 5-inch rounds; wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30
Directions for Filling:
- In a large bowl toss fruit with lemon juice.
- In separate
small bowl, mix sugar, flour and cinnamon; stir sugar mixture into fruit.
- On lightly floured surface, roll
out pastry to 1/8-inch thickness and
fit 8-inch (20 cm) pie plate. Trim edge of pastry and brush edge lightly
- Spread fruit mixture evenly into bottom crust.
- Roll out pastry for top crust, cutting steam vents. Place top crust over
bottom crust with filling, leaving about 3/4-inch pastry for overhang. Fold top pastry under bottom crust edge,
press to seal and finish crust edge as desired.
- In small bowl mix egg
yolk and milk. Brush mixture over top crust and sprinkle with a granulated
- Bake at 425ºF (220ºC) for about 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350ºF (180ºC) and
bake for another 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is soft and crust is golden
Makes 8 servings.