1/2 lb uncooked mild Italian sausage
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 pkg. frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg
1 tablespoon milk
Pinch of salt
Sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Remove the sausage meat from casings and crumble; set aside.
- Heat olive oil and butter in medium size skillet. Add chopped
onion and sautÚ for 1 to 2 minutes (until just soften). Add crumbled
Italian sausages and cook over medium heat, stirring to break up
clumps, until the sausage is cooked and excess fat has been rendered
out. Drain off fat completely and transfer the sausage to a bowl. Let
it cool for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400║ F (200║ C).
- Add grated cheese and chopped parsley to the cooked sausage and mix well; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half of the puff
pastry to a 12 inch square. With a sharp knife, cut the pastry into
four 6 inch squares.
- Working with one piece of pastry at a time, place 2 heaping
tablespoons of the sausage mixture in the middle of the square. brush
the edges lightly with a pastry brush dipped in water and fold the
pastry in half diagonally, pressing firmly into a triangle. Crimp the
edges with a fork to make sure the empanada is securely sealed. Place
on ungreased baking sheet.
- Fill the remaining pastry squares in the same way.
- Roll out second sheet of puff pastry and repeat the whole process.
- In a small bowl, beat egg, salt, and 1 tablespoon milk. Brush
the tops of the empanadas lightly with beaten egg mixture, than
sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until empanadas are puffed and golden brown.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with your favorite salsa.
Makes 8 empanadas.